The blended learning option includes face-to-face teaching as well as online CELTA training.
The online CELTA element of the course is assessed and moderated according to the same criteria
as the full face-to-face course, and the course leads to full CELTA qualification.
The course runs over 14 weeks including an online orientation module lasting 6 hours that needs to be completed in week zero. The orientation module will orient you to the Virtual Learning Environment and will also get you thinking about aspects related to the learning and teaching of English.
Blended CELTA Teaching Practice
Teaching Practice (TP) is an important part of all teacher training courses. The face-to-face element of the Blended CELTA ensures trainees gain this valuable experience. Teaching Practice is conducted in groups, with each candidate teaching for a total of six hours, with peers observing. An experienced teacher trainer will give you feedback on each of your teaching practice sessions.
TP will start in the fourth stage on the course so that you have received enough input online and thus you are in a much better position to plan classes. TP will take place at Ih Mexico face to face. This is followed by TP feedback and supervised lesson planning. In addition, there is an orientation morning at the school on day 1 of the face to face components prior to the start of TP.
Teaching practice will have a group format with each candidate teaching for a total of 6 hours
(spread over 8 occasions). When you are not teaching, you will watch your colleagues teach (peer
observation) on a further 8 occasions. Candidates will continue to interact with the online
Online CELTA component
The online CELTA component includes interactive tasks, guided video observation and forum
discussion. The aim is to develop effective, principled teaching methodologies. An advantage of the online CELTA component is the increased amount of time and support for you to reflect on and
develop what you have learnt.
Benefits of the Blended CELTA
- The Blended CELTA is a great option if you don’t have time to access the full face-to-face course.
- The online CELTA tasks and materials can be accessed at times that suit you, giving you the
flexibility to fit your training around other commitments. You can take the course from anywhere in the world!
- Accommodation and travel costs are also reduced, making the course more affordable for some
candidates. You will only have to be at Ih Mexico for two weeks.
- Candidates who are comfortable with and prefer online learning will now have an option to access CELTA through this medium.
Blended CELTA course structure
- The Blended CELTA is a 16-week course, with 12 weeks online and 2 weeks face-to-face
comprising 150 hours’ teaching time.
- Participants need to attend 12 days of teaching practice at the school in Mexico (Monday to
- The rest of the CELTA course is delivered online.
- Course participants will have access to the material for 4 months from the start of the course.
- You can apply for the Blended CELTA at any time and, if offered a place, the offer is valid for up to 6 months after the date of interview.
- Access to a reliable internet connection and a PC or Mac is essential for the online option.