CELTA Costa Rica – Cambridge Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults
Teaching English to speakers of other languages (TESOL) can be a highly rewarding career, offering you the chance to live and work abroad. You will need an internationally recognised teaching qualification, and CELTA — highly regarded throughout the world — gives you the skills you need and will make it easier to get a teaching job anywhere.
International House will start running CELTA in Costa Rica in 2018! IH is highly recognized worldwide in the teacher training area. International House was one of the pioneers in the development of practical teacher training courses. Our courses are recognized for training more efficient, more productive, more creative and more professional teachers.
Being trained as a CELTA teacher will open up many doors and gain you a place in the TESOL world!
What is CELTA?
CELTA means Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults, and it is an initial qualification for people with little or no previous teaching experience and opens up a whole world of exciting teaching opportunities. Because it is awarded by Cambridge English Language Assessment, part of the world-famous University of Cambridge, you can rely on its quality and recognition.
Over 10,000 people successfully complete a CELTA course each year.
How does CELTA relate to TEFL/TESOL?
‘TEFL’ or ‘TESOL’ are terms often used to describe qualifications for English Language teachers. CELTA, the most widely taken initial TESOL/TEFL qualification of its kind in the world, was previously known as CTEFLA and the ‘RSA certificate’.
Who is CELTA for?
People who want to work in Further, Adult and Community Education in England. CELTA forms the first stage of the Cambridge English Language Assessment DTE(E)LLS and ADTE (E)LLS programmes. The DTE (E)LLS and ADTE (E)LLS qualifications meet the government’s teacher training requirements for people who want to work in this sector.
Am I eligible to apply?
Ideally you should:
- Have a standard of education equivalent to that required for entry into higher education
- Be aged 20 or over
- Have a standard of English which will enable you to teach at a range of levels. If you are not a native speaker you should have an international certification about your command of the language at C1 level (CAE, IELTS band 7 or equivalent)
- Centers may still accept you if you do not have formal qualifications at this level but can demonstrate that you would be likely to complete the course successfully. Some centers may, at their discretion, accept applicants aged between 18 and 20.
What does CELTA involve? (H2)
You can take CELTA full time in Costa Rica (typically four to five weeks), the course:
- Teaches you the principles of effective teaching
- Provides a range of practical skills for teaching English to adult learners
- Gives you hands-on teaching practice.
There are five main units of learning:
- Learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning context
- Language analysis and awareness
- Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
- Planning and resources for different contexts
- Developing teaching skills and professionalism.
You will be assessed throughout the course, with no final examination. An external assessor, appointed by Cambridge English Language Assessment, moderates each course. There are two components of assessment:
- Teaching practice. You will teach for a total of 6 hours, working with classes at two levels of ability. Assessment is based on your overall performance at the end of the 6 hours.
- Written assignments. You will complete four written assignments: one focusing on adult learning; one on the language system of English; one on language skills; and one on classroom teaching.
*To be awarded the certificate you must pass both components. There are three grades (Pass, Pass ‘B’ and Pass ‘A’).
Who recognises CELTA?
CELTA is accepted throughout the world by organisations which employ English Language teachers. The Cambridge CELTA has been accredited by the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority (QCA) at Level 5 on the National Qualifications Framework.
Cambridge English Language Assessment also works with international ELT organisations to ensure the acceptance of CELTA globally.
How do I apply to CELTA?
CELTA courses are designed by individual centers, based on specifications produced by Cambridge English Language Assessment. They are available at over 286 approved centers in 54 countries, providing almost 900 CELTA courses every year. The CELTA course is offered at ILISA Costa Rica, an IH Mexico partner.
CELTA Online y Full time face to face
|Program||Dates online||Dates face to face||Tuition||Register|
|Online||May 13th – July 19th||August 19th – August 30th (2 weeks)||1950||Register|
|Face to face||Agust 5th – August 30th (4 weeks)||1950||Register|
Full time 4 weeks course $1950 (All CELTA fees included)
Additional services provided by ILISA to CELTA participants:
Course details CELTA
Course Overview / Course details
CELTA is offered at ILISA costa Rica as a:
- 4-week full-time: an intensive option for people who want to complete course over a month
Input sessions focusing on:
- Teaching approaches and techniques
- Language awareness
- Teaching of various language areas and skills
- Professional and career development in ESL/EFL
- Practical experience teaching real ESL sudents at different language levels
- Teaching practice every afternoon in small groups of 4-6 trainees
- Detailed feedback and discussion sessions with a course tutor
- Supported/guided lesson planning
- Four written assignments aimed at broadening the trainees’ awareness and application of teaching principles
- Observation of qualified teachers and videoed lessons
- Clear continuous assessment through reports and tutorials
The assessment of CELTA is continuous and integrated. There is no final exam.
The candidates are assessed primarily in the areas of:
- Teaching practice (each assessed lesson is given a grade)
- Written assignments
The CELTA course also takes into consideration various aspects of professionalism and professional development.
- Responsible and professional attitude to learning
- Responsible and professional attitude to planning and teaching of your lessons
- Punctuality and organisation
- Willingness to respond to feedback and adjust your own teaching appropriately
- Overall progress and professionalism in the field
The CELTA certificate is awarded to candidates who satisfy all assessment criteria and complete all course requirements. These include:
- Attendance of 100% of the course.
- Completion of all teaching practice and observations of experienced teachers.
- Completion of all four assignments (three or more assessed as ‘Pass’).
- The grades of the certificate are Pass, Pass B (above standard teaching) or Pass A (exceptional language awareness, teaching and professionalism).
- Candidates who successfully complete the course, receive both the Cambridge CELTA certificate and a report/letter from the trainers . The letter describes the candidate’s performance in some detail and serves as a useful reference for employment.
For more information about CELTA, contact us: email@example.com
Mexico: +52 55 5211 6500
Costa Rica : +506-2280-0700
Whatsapp: +506 8711 3079