The ICELT (In-service Certificate in English Language Teaching) is a certificate issued by Cambridge University. It is aimed at people who are currently teaching English and who want to become familiar with the latest teaching techniques. Taking this course will enable candidates to reflect on their own teaching and to incorporate new techniques and methodologies into it.
International House Mexico is highly recognized worldwide in the teacher training area. International House was one of the pioneers in the development of practical teacher training courses. Our courses are recognized for training more efficient, more productive, more creative and more professional teachers.
“Being trained under International House quality standards is a synonym of excellence and professionalism”
Being trained as an ICELT teacher will open up many doors and gain you a place in the TESOL world!
What is ICELT?
Course programmes are designed to reflect your specific needs and working context. The main aim is to develop your skills in the following areas:
- Language awareness and language use in the classroom
- Planning, teaching and evaluation
- Assessment and evaluation.
Units of learning
- Unit 1 Language knowledge and awareness
- Unit 2 The background to teaching and learning English
- Unit 3 Resources and materials
- Unit 4 Planning and management of teaching and learning
- Unit 5 Evaluation, monitoring and assessment
- Unit 6 Professional development
- Unit 7 Language for teachers
ICELT has replaced the Certificate for Overseas Teachers of English (COTE).
An important stepping stone in your career ICELT is ideal if you are already teaching
English in a specific context, e.g. teaching adults or young learners in the private sector, teaching within a university environment, teaching primary or secondary school learners. This qualification can help you to deepen your knowledge and develop your ability to reflect on and improve your teaching.
Based around you because the course is so flexible, it is difficult to describe a typical candidate. However, here are some examples:
- You may be teaching English and wish to develop your knowledge and skills
- You may have been working in a primary school for several years, and have begun to teach English
without any previous ELT training
- You may be returning to language teaching after a period of time and wish to review and develop your English language skills
- You may be teaching adults in a private institute. You trained to teach at secondary level but that was many years ago
- You may have completed a pre-service teacher training course for secondary teachers a year ago
- You are currently working in a secondary school and also work in a private institute teaching adults
two evenings a week
- You may have trained to teach English, but this training did not include a formally assessed teaching practice component
ICELT is also suitable if your previous training has not included a formally assessed teaching practice component.
ICELT gives you insight into the principles of effective teaching and a range of skills for teaching English in your teaching context. You will:
- Gain hands-on teaching practice.
- Observe experienced teachers in the classroom.
- Complete written assignments and language tasks.
- Four lessons are assessed by your course tutor. A Cambridge-approved moderator visits each course to moderate candidates’ work.
ICELT is divided into Three Components.
1) Language for Teachers (Assessment component).
You will complete 4 language tasks designed to improve your use of English for teaching purposes and linguistic analysis.
2) Teaching (Assessment component).
You will plan, teach and evaluate four lessons, which are assessed by your course tutor.
3) Methodology (Assessment component).
You will complete four classroom-related written assignments on methodology.
Courses are moderated externally. Samples of coursework are submitted to Cambridge ESOL for further moderation at the end of the course.
A Cambridge qualification
Because it is awarded by Cambridge English Language Assessment, part of the University of Cambridge, ICELT is internationally recognised, highly respected and a benchmark for quality. ICELT is one of the ELT qualifications recognised by CENEVAL in order to be granted the “Licenciatura en Enseñanza del Inglés”.
Component One: Language for Teachers
Candidates complete four tasks designed to improve their use of English for teaching purposes. Each task is between 750 – 1000 words.
Component Two: Teaching
Candidates are assessed on a minimum of four occasions.
Component Three: Methodology
Candidates complete four classroom-related written assignments of between 1000 – 1500 words.
The course will be moderated by an external moderator who will sample candidates’ teaching and written assignments. Samples of coursework will be submitted to Cambridge English Language Assessment for further moderation. Every candidate must submit a compete portfolio of work at the end of the course containing all work done during the course.
What grades are awarded?
Candidates are awarded an overall grade of Pass, Merit or Distinction as well as component grades of Pass, Merit or Distinction.
Candidates needs to Pass all written tasks and assignments, and three our of the four Practical Teaching Observations. Candidates can fail one Practical Observation, but this cannot be the last one (which is externally assessed by a Cambridge English Language Assessment moderator).
- At least two years of teaching experience (Ideally, you should have an initial teaching qualification).
- At least 18 years of age.
- CAE or IELTS band 6.5 – 7 Overall, (Minimum 7 in Writing).
- Sufficient Academic Writing skills.
How do I apply?
|TEACHER TARINING||CONDESA IHC-TKT 120 HRS||COYOACAN IHC-TKT 120 HRS||CONDESA TKT||COYOACAN TKT||CONDESA CELTA||COYOACAN CELTA||CONDESA ICELT|
|ENERO||INTENSIVO Y BLENDED 14 ENERO|
|FEBRERO||EXTENSIVO 25 FEBRERO||INTENSIVO 18 FEBRERO||EXTENSIVO 02 FEBRERO|
|MARZO||EXTENSIVO 15 MARZO|
|MAYO||INTENSIVO 18 MAYO||SABATINO 18 MAYO||BLENDED 14 MAYO||ICELT BLENDED 23 MAYO|
|JUNIO||INTENSIVO 03 JUNIO|
|JULIO||INTENSIVO 01 JULIO||INTENSIVO 15 JULIO||INTENSIVO 15 JULIO||INTENSIVO 15 JULIO|
|AGOSTO||EXTENSIVO 30 AGOSTO||EXTENSIVO 30 AGOSTO||EXTENSIVO 24 AGOSTO|
|SEPTIEMBRE||INTENSIVO 02 SEPTIEMBRE ____________ BLENDED 16 SEPTIEMBRE|
|OCTUBRE||EXTENSIVO 14 DE OCTUBRE|
|NOVIEMBRE||EXTENSIVO 08 DE NOVIEMBRE||INTENSIVO 11 DE NOVIEMBRE|